TRAINING: For this camp, I'll do a run on my own, either in the morning or evening. My coaches get together in the afternoon for either striking, grappling or wrestling, or a combination of everything. Then sparring once a week.
When and why did you start training for fighting? Martial arts has been a part of my life since I was five. I thought I'd might as well make a living doing something I love.
What ranks and titles have you held? Black belt in karate and taekwondo, blue belt in jiu-jitsu and some medals at jiu-jitsu tournaments.
Do you have any heroes? My mom and my grandmothers
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? An opportunity of a lifetime.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn? I have no degree
What was your job before you started fighting? I worked at Gillies Frozen Custard in high school
Specific accomplishments in pro competition? Two Submission of the Night awards, one of them being a 12-second flying armbar that was Submission of the Year.
Favorite grappling technique: Any submissions
Favorite striking technique: Left hook
• Team Melendez on TUF 20
• Had 4-0 amateur record with two knockouts
• Pro since 2013
• Has won five of her last six and two in a row
• Six wins by submission (4 RNC, flying armbar, Kimura), one by knockout
• Four first round finishes
• Flying armbar win over Kathina Catron in April of 2013 took just 12 seconds
• Pro debut was win over Emily Kagan
• Lone pre UFC loss was via decision to Tecia Torres in July of 2013
• Fiancé is UFC vet Pat Barry